Re: Info mutilates user overlays.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info mutilates user overlays.
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:14:35 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan monnier wrote:

   How do you highlight?  What do you highlight?  What for?

In the very concrete case at hand, I was highlighting regions with
non-nil `help-echo' property, using overlays with background color.
The code works for properties other than help-echo too.  Again, in the
concrete case at hand, I was doing it explicitly to check whether my
code would work in *info* buffers.  But I have used overlays
personally for a variety of reasons, for instance, to highlight for
emphasis.  I guess I could just tell in the documentation that the
highlighting can easily "evaporate" in certain buffers, such as *info*
and *help*.  The user can always re-highlight.  For my unrelated
personal uses (that can not be reconstructed from information contained
in the buffer) I might have to save my overlays in a file to do that.

Sincerely,

Luc.