Re: groupware question

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: groupware question
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:48:30 +0900

    Robert> (I would love someone to take the code in, say, tramp and
    Robert> enable connections to character-only terminals as well as
    Robert> to X sessions.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to do
    Robert> this.)

If you understand the security implications and can live with them,
wouldn't enabling TCP/IP with emacsclient do what you want?  (Using
emacsclient on a local terminal would only annoy the remote X user, of
course!)

I've done cooperative editing this way, by the way, and discovered
that I really don't want to work that way with the person I tried it
with.  He kept making typos, and correcting my indentation style.
Unforgivable!  ;-)

We found a second Emacs window on a temp buffer for chat (or it could
visit a log file) was useful.

We also found that it was hard (in XEmacs, GNU Emacs might do better)
to keep the window-frame mapping consistent across frames (eg, if one
of you does find-tag, the other doesn't automatically see the result
if it's a different buffer).