Re: Double hyphens in variable names.

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Double hyphens in variable names.
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 21:03:33 -0400

    @defvar imenu--index-alist

I propose to make the @def... commands do an implicit @code, more or
less.  The principal change would be the names being printed in
typewriter (and typewriter slanted for arguments, I guess).  We'd get
ligature suppression for free, then.

This seems more logical than the roman fonts (bold and slanted) now
being used, although the roman fonts are prettier and take less space.

Does anyone object to that?

It would also be possible to write special-case code to remove ligatures
and such (in fact I seem to remember doing something along those lines
already for some past bug report), but all in all, the point is that
that identifiers is code, so we should print them in typewriter just
like other code fragments.