Re: utf-8 cjk translation bug?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: utf-8 cjk translation bug?
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:57:39 +0900

    Miles> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

    >> Yeah, that's definitely the case, and it's not just a problem
    >> with double-width characters -- the coverage of many iso10646
    >> fonts seems completely crap.

Microsoft Arial, for one of the egregious worst.  :-)  Why should a
Russian font designer be good at designing Sanskrit glyphs?  Who knows
which Thai fonts go well with a given Arabic one?  ISO 10646 fonts
should cover what their designers are good at, no more---and not
necessarily no less.

It's not even obvious that there should be terminal fonts with
universal coverage.  Some Unihan users will surely object to any
given choice of glyphs, for example.

    Miles> BTW, does this mean that the new unicode emacs will have
    Miles> problems rendering many charsets that are currently
    Miles> displayed properly by emacs?

In practice, probably yes ... but that will be a bug easily fixed, and
long before release.  :-)  Post-modern Emacsen will have to have
support for efficiently querying font repertoire (I see emacs-unicode
already has a defined API).  For example, you'll get this for free
with Xft2/fontconfig.