Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:40:12 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

> Inheritance of language environments could be a useful idea,
> but I am not sure how much it would save.  Consider this one:
[...]
> We could make it shorter using inheritance, but it is already pretty
> short; is it really worth while making it any shorter?

The purpose of inheritance is not only to make it shorter.
With inheritance, users can make a new lang. env. easily by
inheriting the one that matches best to his purpose.

Another way is to make a new lang. env. by copying an
existing one.

With inheritance, the change to parent affects lang. envs
inheritting it.  With copying, no.  So, purhaps both method
is useful (as well as the case of face).

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden