Re: Undocumented hyperlinks in doc strings.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Undocumented hyperlinks in doc strings.
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:21:58 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   C-M-q doesn't need to differentiate between major headings and other
   comments, so as far as I know, it is completely unaffected by the
   issue discussed here.  Unless I missed something, of course.

Well at least _something_ needs to be changed to the current
";; this used:" commented out code fragment in `help-make-xrefs', if
it is to become "C-M-q invariant".   Just go to the beginning of the
`help-make-xrefs' defun and do C-M-q.  I doubt that the result is what
you really want.

Maybe:

                         ((match-string 7)
                          ;; this used:
                          ;; #'(lambda (arg)
                          ;;     (let ((location
                          ;;            (find-function-noselect arg)))
                          ;;       (pop-to-buffer (car location))
                          ;;       (goto-char (cdr location))))
                          (help-xref-button 8 'help-function-def sym))

   But I do turn the three-semi to two-semi when I come across them
   with outline-minor-mode.

If you just do that mechanically, without checking that the result is
"C-M-q" invariant, and then somebody else mechanically applies C-M-q to
the function, the result is not going to look good.  In the case of
`help-make-xrefs' such a mechanical change appears to have been made.
I believe this should be fixed one way or the other.  The current
indentation is a "C-M-q hazard".

Sincerely,

Luc.