Re: dired-do-shell-command munches all memory

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: dired-do-shell-command munches all memory
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:37:28 -0400

    $ minizip x a
    The file x.zip exist. Overwrite ? [y]es, [n]o : n

    Then in emacs, do
    (dired-do-shell-command "minizip x" nil (quote ("a")))
    emacs apparently loops on the above question. Emacs version is in my
headers.

This is because minizip spews unending output.  It does that when it
hits eof on stdin while asking the yes or no question.  I think that
is a bug in minizip; can you tell me who to report that to?

Meanwhile, perhaps it is a bug in Emacs that it runs out of memory
just because a subprocess generates unending output.  The question is,
what else should it do?  Perhaps when the output gets over a certain size,
ask the user whether to continue reading it.  What do people think?