Re: suggested feature -- console-mode frame title sets Xterm title

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: suggested feature -- console-mode frame title sets Xterm title
Date: 14 Oct 2003 16:56:09 +0900

Martin Pool <address@hidden> writes:
> The problem is in the next paragraph:
>
>     `FN' is actually the frame's name.  You can also specify a
>     different name if you wish, and you can select a frame by its
>     name.  Use the command `M-x set-frame-name <RET> NAME <RET>' to
>     specify a new name for the selected frame, and use `M-x
>     select-frame-by-name <RET> NAME <RET>' to select a frame according
>     to its name.  The name you specify appears in the mode line when
>     the frame is selected.
>
> 'F%d' would no longer be the frame's name.

What about just changing `select-frame-by-name' to first check the given
name against a list of `real names', and then if none match, to see if it's
of the form F%d, and if so select a frame by number.

I get the feeling that almost nobody would use the current meaning except
in interactive use (as a handy way to skip directly to a given frame), so
the above workaround would satisfy most people that use that feature.

Adding `select-frame-by-index' might be useful too, but I think the main
concern here is existing users that are used to using select-frame-by-name.
The above sort of compatibility hack might serve as a gentle introduction
to using meaningful names for frames (it even usually picks good
defaults)... :-)

-Miles
--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.