Re: possible fix for sftp on Savannah; please try

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: possible fix for sftp on Savannah; please try
Date: 14 Oct 2003 12:06:53 +0200

Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> said:

> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:38:37PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> >> The errors always mention premature EOF on file descriptor 4.
> >> If you could install chroot-sftp.c, that would be a tremendous help
> >> in
> >> tracking down the problem.
> >
> >Firstly, I would to know why the current thing does not work for you
> >while it works for me and while I was told by several others persons,
> >including arch users, that it works ok.
>
> When did you last test it?

The last time its configuration was changed.

> I finally got a regular Savannah user account, and talked to other
> regular Savannah users, and unless they use ssh protocol 1, which
> you CANNOT chroot,

We chroot it and it works chrooted.

Since you apparently do not believe me when I say that, please look at
the following:

address@hidden:~$ sftp -1 address@hidden:/
Connecting to sv.gnu.org...
Enter passphrase for RSA key '/home/moa/.ssh/id_rsa1':
Changing to: /
sftp> ls
.
..
123tkshop
7pages
9box
Andrew-Toolkit.README
Flush
FreelyAvailableTexts
Only
README
README.obst
Socket
[...]
sftp> ls /usr/bin
/usr/bin/.
/usr/bin/..
/usr/bin/sftp

It definitely works.

> The shell closes all file descriptors except 0, 1, and 2 before passing
> them on to programs.  The sftp server expects to by invoked by sshd, not
> by a shell script, and so it is waiting for incoming data on file
> descriptor 4.

This account is an usual account.

You requested a special account in order to help us but apparently you
always refers to specific issues related to this non-usual account.

The last time I was on IRC for almost one hour with people from your
project and I left only when it was said it was working. The
configuration did not changed.

So please, can we have the error messages you get, with an usual
account?
(didn't asked for that information before?)
We are not about to fix something unless we have some clue about
reproducibility of the problem, unless we are able to confirm that
there is really a problem on the server side.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org