Re: auto-save-visited-file-name

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: auto-save-visited-file-name
Date: 16 Oct 2003 13:10:53 -0400

> .. but doesn't that mean that auto-save files are always saved
> in emacs-mule rather than the current coding of the buffer?
> That sounds like a more generic error that needs fixing anyway.

No, I think it's a very reasonable choice (and I know it's been discussed
here and more recently on XEmacs's lists).
This is the only encoding that we know for sure will not lose any
information, will succeed without needing to prompt the user for more
details, and it is also more efficient which I still consider relevant in
the context of auto-saving.  It's not perfect, but the other options aren't
much more attractive.
IIUC, the internal format in emacs-unicode is utf-8, so the auto-save
format will naturally use utf-8 at that point.

        Stefan