Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Alexander Pohoyda
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: 16 Oct 2003 23:18:39 +0200

> > Because, after reformatting it is not a MIME message anymore!
>
> So?  We are not sending that text as-is to any MTA, are we?

No, I have never done that, but remember the problem with exporting
an email to the Unix mail file. Who knows how else we could use the
email would it be not reformatted.

> We are just processing the text locally. So we don't need to comply
> to MIME standards, do we?

Right, we don't have to, but why not to if that significantly
simplifies the processing?

> > OK, this may not be that important. I just don't see a reason why do we
> > have to reformat the message just to ignore this reformatting later.
> > Reformatting only introduces an obstacle. Why to do that?
>
> I think it eases further processing elsewhere in RMAIL.

Who may know that for sure?

>                                                         IIRC, many
> RMAIL functions need to access the headers and the body separately.

No problems with that. I am not going to change it.

> Of course, it is also possible to avoid that reformatting, but then
> your job will become much bigger, I think.

Yes, I will have to modify some Rmail functions, but the result, I'm
sure, is well worth the effort.

--
Alexander Pohoyda <address@hidden>
PGP Key fingerprint: 7F C9 CC 5A 75 CD 89 72  15 54 5F 62 20 23 C6 44