Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:36:20 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> > Date: 16 Oct 2003 12:54:24 -0400
> >
> > Why do people even consider doing any processing at that point?
>
> Because doing that when the user wants to display a message means that
> (a) displaying a message will be slow, and (b) you will need to do
> this kind of processing every time you display a message.  In
> contrast, the current design of RMAIL does the processing only once
> for each message.

Excuse the intrusion of a lurker...

Why would it be slow?  Try MH-E.  It re-does all MIME processing at
every display and it's quite fast.

> > any other option will make you lose information at some point and
> > also forces you to have code to re-create the original format
>
> The question is, do we care that we lose information, and do we need
> to recreate the original format?  That's exactly what I was asking
> Alexander to explain.

For one, you can't check a GPG signature if you change one bit.
Secondly, it's much easier to convert your mail to some other MUA if it
left it intact.

We came up against similar questions working on MH-E, so I'm speaking
from some experience.

Best regards,
Peter