Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:24:02 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: 16 Oct 2003 15:21:40 -0400
>
> > Is forwarding such a frequent operation?
>
> The question is not even relevant: it needs to be possible to do it,
> so you need to keep the info, just in case.

If the operation is not frequent, the information can be kept in some
form that doesn't allow an efficient implementation.  So the question
is relevant.

> It might be suboptimal in some cases, but in terms of programmer resources,
> it's pretty close to optimal.  Admittedly, it's not clear whether programmer
> resources is the bottleneck w.r.t MIME decoding given the number of
> different MIME-decoding package have been written in elisp.  Or maybe it is
> the bottleneck and it's a shame that we would write yet-another one rather
> than use a pre-existing one such as the one in Gnus (wisely used by MH-E).

Actually, I think it's a shame that every add-on mail package invented
its own way of doing things instead of contributing the infrastructure
to Emacs.  If they did it the Right Way, we would not need to have
this discussion now, just point Alexander to the existing functions.