Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:33:43 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:39:24 -0400
> > From: Peter S Galbraith <address@hidden>
> >
> > >            If they did it the Right Way, we would not need to have
> > > this discussion now, just point Alexander to the existing functions.
> >
> > The only MIME functions currently in Emacs are from gnus, so point him
> > at those.
>
> They should be in lisp/mail/, not in lisp/gnus/.  In other words, they
> should be in common Emacs infrastructure, documented in
> lispref/*.texi, and all the Emacs mail packages should use them.

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

The drawback for us is the very slow release cycle of Emacs (e.g. the
released version of MH-E with Emacs is two years old).  Currently, some
fancier capabilities of MH-E are only availble if the user has also
installed a separate recent version of gnus since the Emacs version is
too old.  I suppose we would solve that problem by packaging a current
snapshot of the Emacs MIME package (if it existed), but we would have to
maintain a fork if you used code that is not backward compatible with
older versions of Emacs.

--
Peter S. Galbraith, MH-E developer  <address@hidden>
GPG key 1024/D2A913A1 - 97CE 866F F579 96EE  6E68 8170 35FF 799E