Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:05:29 -0400

    With all due respect, ``designed as'' is not the same as ``is''.  As
    long as a library is not sent upstream to the Emacs maintainers and is
    not described in the ELisp manual, it cannot be considered part of
    Emacs infrastructure, in my opinion.

That is not our policy.  Something can be in a separate manual
and be a recommended part of Emacs facilities.

We typically do not document specialized Emacs libraries in the Emacs
Lisp manual, because it isn't useful to print the info about them on
paper.  We certainly would not document a MIME library in the Emacs
Lisp manual, because it is useful only for mail readers, and that is
too specialized.  That doesn't mean it isn't part of the standard
Emacs infrastructure.

However, it needs to be maintained in the Emacs CVS repository
if we are going to depend on it.