Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:56:11 -0400

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

I see one solution to these problems - to export entire mbox to the
file system, i.e. to save MIME parts to separate files, decode
base64/quoted-printable regions, convert the charset from Content-Type
line to Emacs encoding, add corresponding -*- coding: -*- line, and
save fully decoded message to a separate file.

And all that just to be able to use grep?  Why not have the mail
reader be able to do searches for you instead?

That's the right answer. Using grep is fine to the extent that one cannot really expect grep to grok the internals of a mail application. IMAP provides a decent model for mail searching. Gnus might as well. I'm just not as familiar with Gnus as I am with IMAP.

-pmr