Re: Two GTK related feature requests

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Two GTK related feature requests
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:27:23 +0200

Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> writes:

>> * "Tabbed editing".  People using modern web browsers will know what I
>>   mean.  It is very addictive.  Essentially it would add buttons at
>>   the top of the Emacs window, one button for each buffer.  Clicking
>>   on one button will change focus to that buffer.  Each tab may also
>>   have a X button that kill that buffer.  There are several details to
>>   be sorted out, e.g., should the tab be per-window or per-frame?  Per
>>   frame is more traditional, but per-window might be useful.  I
>>   suspect GTK have read-made widgets for tabbed applications.
>
> Try this one.
> http://www.jamespo.org.uk/weblog/archives/tabbar.el

Excellent!  Thanks.

So the first feature request collapse into the second one: having
elisp GTK bindings.  Then tabbar.el could use the standard GTK widget
for the tabs.  I think it is important to use standard widgets for
standard operations.  It give a consistent user interface across all
GTK applications.  Application-specific user interface designs have a
greater learning curve.