Re: URL

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: URL
Date: 23 Oct 2003 12:31:23 -0400

>> Good question.  I've been bugging Bill and Dave every once in a while to
>> move URL into Emacs, but it somehow still hasn't happened, after
>> many months.

> I'm not sure it's anything to do with me.

> If I remember correctly, you wanted to link the repository on
> subversions into the Emacs one.  There's nothing I can do about that,
> even if I thought it was a good idea.

I want it linked, or moved (preferably moved).  In either case, you can't do
it yourself, but as an admin of URL (IIRC) you could ask the cvshackers to
do the move/link, whereas I can't.  At least that's my understanding.
But maybe it's flawed because you're not an admin of Emacs, so RMS or Eli
should ask for it together with you, maybe ?

In any case, not being an admin of either makes me even more powerless
w.r.t this.

> [What does this have to do with Rmail and MIME?

It was about generating URLs of the form `mid://...' for bookmarking
Rmail messages.

> For what it's worth,
> you should actually _not_ make network connexions when reading mail,
> and Gnus will prevent that happening via the unreleased url.

100% agreement.

        Stefan