Re: emacs refuses to save file in the same encoding it was read

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs refuses to save file in the same encoding it was read
Date: 24 Oct 2003 10:14:22 -0400

>     I think the code is already pretty messy, so I'd rather avoid adding
>     yet-another-test.  Could you explain the reason for the recent change
>     that introduced the new problem?  Maybe we can fix it in some other way?
> sorry, i don't remember, but i think i saw a bug in some case.

It would be helpful if you could remember.  I can't think of any case where
the old code could be wrong.  The logic is as follows:

    If t is not a member of (symbol-value hook), then use
    `setq' rather than `setq-default' to modify the value.

There's no need to distinguish between the case where the variable is
buffer-local or not: if it is local-variable-if-set-p then the code
does the same as the new code and if it is not, `setq' and `setq-default'
do the same anyway.

> does my fix work?

It does, but I'd rather remove the recent patch which does not fix anthing
as far as I can tell.  Or at least I'd rather fix it by replacing
`local-variable-p' by `local-variable-if-set-p' in your recent patch.

The fact that you did not notice the bug even after I pointed out the
faulty code shows that the logic of the code is already complex enough
and should not be made worse as your two patches do.

        Stefan