Re: (font-lock-mode 1) does not always force font-lock

From: Hrvoje Niksic
Subject: Re: (font-lock-mode 1) does not always force font-lock
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:52:19 +0200

Alexander Pohoyda <address@hidden> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> > Yes, both cases work. If I comment out (font-lock-mode 1), things
>> > still work.
>>
>> Please repeat the tests with `emacs -q' then.
>
> OK. There is no difference whether the buffer is named "*foo*" or just
> "foo". Both cases work.

I'm afraid you tested the wrong thing.  You need to try "*foo*" and
" *foo*", i.e. with and without the leading space in the buffer name.
Whether the buffer name contains asterisks or not is, as you
discovered, irrelevant.

> If I comment out (font-lock-mode 1), both cases does not work: a
> string is not fontified.

There is no use in testing that.  The code is not expected to fontify
anything when you remove `(font-lock-mode 1)'.

If you're not sure what to test, you should contact me privately with
your findings, to prevent needless traffic on the development list.