Re: RMAIL, rmail-mbox-branch

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: RMAIL, rmail-mbox-branch
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:44:50 -0500

    1) If RMAIL file does not exist, rmail-display-labels function fails
    deep inside rmaildesc.el and I dont see a reason to display labels if
    there are no messages.

If nothing is done, will the labels from the previously displayed
message hang around in the modeline?  If so, we should fix
rmail-display-labels so it does the right thing when there is no
message.  If not, your fix seems right.  Which one is it?

    2) rmail-use-spam-filter is void variable, used in rmail-get-new-mail
       function. It is defined in rmail-spam-filter.el, but we cannot
       (require 'rmail-spam-filter) before the rmail-mode-map variable is
       defined further in rmail.el file.

       I'm not sure what is a right way to fix this.

How about initializing the variable to nil, and making
rmail-get-new-mail ignore it when it's nil?

How about doing the require at a place such as the function `rmail' so that we
know rmail-mode-map is already set up?