Re: question about frame local variable

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: question about frame local variable
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:03:36 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>     It seems that we need the attached patch to make a code like
>     this (allow scalable fonts only for a specific frame) work
>     well.

>     (defun make-frame-allowing-scalable-fonts ()
>       (make-variable-frame-local 'scalable-fonts-allowed)
>       (let ((frame (make-frame '((name . "SCALABLE")))))
>       (modify-frame-parameters frame '((scalable-fonts-allowed . t)))
>       frame))

>     The patch accesses the value of `scalable-fonts-allowed' not
>     directly by Vscalable_fonts_allowed but via:

> is there a bug in handling frame-local bindings for variables
> forwarded to C vars?  if so, can we fix that bug?

I don't know how "frame-local bindings for variables" should
be treated in C code.  So I can't tell if there's a bug or
not.

Ideally, I think selecte-frame should change the value of
Vscalable_fonts_allowed when that has frame local binding.
Then, C code can simply refer to this variable to get the
current value.

But, apparently, Fselect_frame and do_switch_frame called
from it does nothing about such variables.  Only via
find_symbol_value, C code gets the current value.

On the other hand, set_buffer_internal_1 surely pays
attention to buffer local variables so that C variables get
the current value.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden