Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:35:12 +0000

>     The trouble with `language' environments is that they have little to
>     do with the language per se.  If you're not going by system defaults
>     (locales), I think you want to provide orthogonal customization of
>     language, codeset, and other features.  If you lump them all together,
>     you'll have probably four for each Western European language: latin-1,
>     latin-9, windows-1252 and utf-8.
>
> that wd be tru if thatwere the one and only way to spec all of them.
> but we already have other ways in emacs.

I was responding to:

  But there should also be a command or user option
  where you specify just the language, and other things default from
  that to the extent possible.  And that's what should be in the menus.

I can't see how simply `language' is the appropriate way to deal with
this, and a one-dimensional specification of the parameters seems
quite impractical, as above.  Also I can't see why customizing
language, territory and character set (with defaults for the latter
two) isn't a reasonable thing to offer users.  I have given this some
thought and some implementation.

If you must consider only language, why isn't this an appropriate use
of Custom themes, anyway?