Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:50:05 -0500

    Of course, a direction I'd even prefer is some way to make it possible to
    use the TeXinfo file(s) directly

The problem with this approach is that then Emacs has to know about
every change to the Texinfo source language.  That does not seem like a
good idea.  New commands could not be added to Texinfo without impacting
Info readers, in that case.  rms intentionally designed Texinfo so that
this would not happen.

In the present situation, info readers generally don't have to know or
care what the source commands are and when they change.  I've added
probably 20+ commands without impacting any reader and without any
compatibility issues.  (Occasionally there are commands that do have
compatibility issues, such as @anchor and the new @image support, but
these have been the exception.)

If I'm missing something here, please let me know ...