Re: Unable to bootstrap GNU Emacs 21.3 (SOLVED)

From: David Ponce
Subject: Re: Unable to bootstrap GNU Emacs 21.3 (SOLVED)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:11:25 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
    Exec-shield functionality is available only to binaries that have been
    built (and marked) using the toolchain (compiler, assembler, linker)
    available with Fedora [...]"

those words are disturbing.  what toolchain is this?
is it a version of gcc?  is it free sw?

It is the gcc (3.3.2)/glibc (2.3.2) toolchain associated to the Fedora Linux
kernel (2.4.22).

    The problem is that Exec-shield enables a different memory layout that
    breaks the emacs dumper.

cd you write an etc/PROBLEMS entry about this?

I can try to write something.  However I am not sure to be able to explain what
is exactly Exec-shield nor how it impacts the Emacs dumper.

Perhaps there is a GNU/Linux and Emacs dumper guru there that could help?

David