Re: address@hidden: `set-locale-environment' bug]

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: address@hidden: `set-locale-environment' bug]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:52:36 +0100

>> From: Jesper Harder <address@hidden>
>
>> I'm still a bit confused about _why_ the display table should be
>> non-nil in a single byte locale.
>
> Because Emacs sets up a few entries in that display table, to match
> what most users expect.  For details, see the function
> standard-display-european-internal defined on mule-cmds.el.

Thank you.  Now that I've looked at it, I know that I definitely want
to set `standard-display-table' to nil :-(

Most of what `standard-display-european-internal' does is wrong for my
use, viz.:

 (standard-display-8bit (if (eq window-system 'pc) 128 160) 255)

This controls how eight-bit-control and eight-bit-graphics is
displayed, right?  The presence of those charsets is usually a bug, so
I'd rather be alerted than hiding their presence.

 (aset standard-display-table 146 [39])

I think this is a bit evil.  Lisp, TeX, C, etc. do not consider 146
and 39 to be the same character.  Making them indistinguishable makes
it hard to locate errors caused by the presence of \222 rather than '
in source code.

 (aset standard-display-table ?' [?’])
 (aset standard-display-table ?` [?‘])

This is nice.  But it might do some people a disservice by making them
believe that `foo' actually looks good, while it'll look wrong and
ugly for 99% of all computer users.

--
Cheers,
Jesper Harder