Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: 29 Oct 2003 16:14:28 +0200

> From: Oliver Scholz <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:52:39 +0100
>
> With all due respect, I don't see an improvement in using ANSI escape
> sequences.

The improvement, quite obviously, is that the stand-alone Info reader,
which is text-mode based, will be able to display attributes such as
bold, underline, italics, and (on color-capable terminals) colors, and
it will be able to do that without any changes whatsoever in the
reader's own code (at least the part of it that runs on Unix and GNU
systems; DOS and Windows might need some adaptation).

> Maybe old tty info readers would send the escape sequences
> to the terminal, but you'd still need an Emacs info reader which is up
> to date, anyways.

The assumption was that the Emacs Info reader can easily translate the
escapes into faces.  ansi-colors.el already shows how.

> Given that you have compatibility issues in either
> case, I'd like to plea for a syntactical markup.

So you propose to have 2 problems instead of one, yes?