Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:28:07 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Oliver Scholz <address@hidden>
[...]
>> Maybe old tty info readers would send the escape sequences
>> to the terminal, but you'd still need an Emacs info reader which is up
>> to date, anyways.
>
> The assumption was that the Emacs Info reader can easily translate the
> escapes into faces.  ansi-colors.el already shows how.

And yet you'd need to hack the Emacs info reader in order to make
sure that it uses ansi-color.el. Maybe the patch is trivial, even
easier than stripping markup using format.el. But it won't work out
of the box for all users.

>> Given that you have compatibility issues in either
>> case, I'd like to plea for a syntactical markup.
>
> So you propose to have 2 problems instead of one, yes?

Yes, indeed, because IMO using ANSI escape sequences is a step into
the wrong direction, while introducing (a few) syntactical markup tags
is a step into the right direction. YMMV, but my personal opinion: Iff
you want to change the info format at all, please do it by introducing
syntactical markup.

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               8 Brumaire an 212 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!