Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:02:06 -0500

Is HTML adequate for the job of replacing info format?  Yes, it does
something vaguely similar, but that does not mean the answer is yes.
Does the HTML output produced by makeinfo give just as good results in
a browser as info files do in the info readers?  Can we support *all*
the features of info just as well as we do now?

One other obstacle to using HTML instead of info format is that emacs
does not contain a browser at present.  We have considered for years
the idea of installing the W3 package into Emacs, but (from what I
recall) it does not work as well as ordinary browsers.  So I hesitate
to replace info.el with W3.