Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:02:17 -0500

    Since Info is inherently limited to what can be displayed on a terminal,
    it seems like ANSI escape sequences are as reasonable specification of
    the capabilities as anything else?

Info files can be displayed under X and we need not assume they are
limited to a narrow range of display features forever.  But even if we
never support anything beyond what terminal escape sequences can do,
we still should not use them.  There is nothing particularly easy
about converting terminal escape sequences into text properties for
emacs to display.