Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: ia64 function descriptors and unexec

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: ia64 function descriptors and unexec
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:21:55 +0100

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, but I need saved runtime-initialized function pointers.  Do you
> have either a reference for how xemacs has handled this, or a contact
> person who might know?

I have hacked XEmacs to re-assign all those function pointers, good enough
to get it running.  But this hack is too ugly, so I never bothered to send
the patch upstream (I also never used XEmacs myself, so I don't care
much).  I've heard that the current version of XEmacs use a different
dumper which doesn't have this problem any more, but I didn't test it yet.

>  Was there ever a GNU emacs obstacle on ia64 linux, or am I confusing
> the situation with xemacs?

Since GNU Emacs does not assign function pointers at runtime there was
never such a problem.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden
SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg