Re: Change of C indentation style ('{')

From: Martin Stjernholm
Subject: Re: Change of C indentation style ('{')
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:03:01 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:28:42PM +0100, Martin Stjernholm wrote:
>> /.../ these macro constructs are only truly ambiguous with old K&R
>> style function definitions. So it ought to be possible to solve
>> with more careful checks.
>
> What about the example I gave (in another message) that would seem to
> indicate otherwise?

I can't see that it does. In your example it's possible to look at
both the expression in the parenthesis and the lack of a return type.
I planned to only check for the return type since it's more reliable.

> [Not that I think requring `declarations' of macros is a very workable idea
> -- people wouldn't do it 99% of the time]

I agree. (It's the same thing with the c-font-lock-extra-types
variable - I don't think it's good enough to rely on that to fontify
types correctly, and so I implemented a considerably more elaborate
method to recognize declarations and casts.)