Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 02:37:33 +0000 (UTC)

   ... (Don't you say “HTML page” in English, too?)

Yes, but English speaks do not mean the same when when referring to a
printed page and an HTML page.  The use of the term in HTML is a
metaphorical extension of the concept of `printed page'.

   I mean the current info format's

I think you meant `node', which if it were printed may print out as
more or less than one printed page.  A node is also sometimes called a
`section'.  But in Texinfo documents, sections often consist of
several nodes, and then of course, there is the address@hidden' command.
The language is confusing.

   Which is the the English word you use for the structural equivalent
   of a printed's output page, i.e. the electronic text that is rendered
   on an application's screen canvas at a certain time?

The `display' or `buffer' or `window'.  The amount displayed varies
depending on how many lines your window is showing.  For example,
right now my display is showing 48 lines for this *mail* buffer, but
just a few moments ago, I divided this frame into two and my display
was showing only 24 lines for this buffer.

In HTML, the word that corresponds to a `node' or `section' is a
`page'.  It is what you get when you fetch a URL.

Put another way, a URL points to a page.

Thus, `http://www.teak.cc' points the the default page indicated by
the URL, which is the `index.html' page.

An HTML page may print out as more or less than one printed page.
Often, an HTML page is larger than the amount that is displayed by a
Web browser at any one time.

I have read people using the word `document' to mean one page of an
HTML document.  By this usage, the W3 mode manual splits into 129
different documents when created as HTML using the default.  I find
this language confusing, since in fact, the W3 mode manual is a single
manual, one `document'.

The `(texinfo)HTML Splitting' node in Info says,

    By default, `makeinfo' splits HTML output into one output file per
    Texinfo source node.

which is much clearer.  (The `--no-split' option produces one HTML
page from one Texinfo source file.)

All in all the language is confusing, and not everyone uses it the
same way.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden