Re: Prompt display in Panther build

From: Andrew Choi
Subject: Re: Prompt display in Panther build
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:46:18 -0700

Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:

>> When I run 'sql-postgres' to start the interactive SQL mode (to
>> connect to a local pgsql server) the behavior differs between the
>> command line invocation and the Carbon build. In particular, on the
>> command line, everything is (or seems) as it is supposed to be; on
>> the Carbon build, there is no prompt. If I enter commands (despite
>> the lack of prompt) everything behaves normally (it transforms the
>> text to boldface and writes the query results, as usual), but I
>> still don't get any prompt showing up.
>
> There are (or at least there used to be) problems with pseudo-ttys
> (ptys) on Mac OS X, therefore ptys are disabled for some (all?)
> operations.  I think the variable process-connection-type controls
> this, so you could try to tweak that.

I believe the pty problem has been fixed in Panther/Darwin 7.0 (unless
someone can tell me otherwise).

If behavior differs in terminal and GUI mode, perhaps it is useful to
check environment variable settings passed to `psql' that are different
in the two cases (value of process-environment).  Also you may want to
check what arguments are used when psql is called (by stopping at
start-process (?)) in both cases.