emacs as back-end

From: Jaba Adams
Subject: emacs as back-end
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:28:29 -0500

Hi folks,

I'd like to use emacs as a "back-end" for various GUI /
editor experiments. I'm new to emacs, and searching on
"embedding", "scraping", "tty", etc. hasn't yielded useful
results. I'd appreciate it if you could suggest some lines
of inquiry, based on my requirements.

Here's what I want to do:

- send keyboard / mouse input to emacs
- receive sufficient output from emacs to be able to
reconstruct what the user would see if emacs had been
running interactively up to that point
- do this with no visible emacs windows
- do this on a Windows 2000 / XP machine

I don't want to waste time writing editor functionality when
something as featureful as emacs is out there, but I do want
full control over the GUI.

Thanks for any help!

- Jaba