Re: Do we need legal papers

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Do we need legal papers
Date: 04 Nov 2003 17:00:51 +0100

Andrew Choi <address@hidden> writes:

> > Before we install the code, we have to wait for the signed papers
> > to be received and recorded.  (We may also need papers from his
> > employer; I do not know, but fsf-records would have told him.)
> >
> > Have you read the file maintain.texi which explains these
> > procedures?
>
> Perhaps it is best if I'm relieved from being the Mac maintainer.  I
> program for the love of programming and not for any other reasons.

The love of programming also implies that one wishes well for one's
outcome.  You are aware that at one point in Emacs' history large
parts had to be rewritten from scratch because somebody suddenly
decided that parts he contributed in a spirit of "love of programming"
should no longer get distributed under the GPL?

You are aware that just currently the company SCO is seeking for
billions of dollars of damage from users and contributors to Linux
because they claim that some contributions might not have been
properly legal?  You know that the resulting legal battle will drag on
for years and serve to seriously hamper Linux acceptance, because it
will be used for spreading fear about Linux use while the legal
struggles go on, even if one thinks that the outcome is preordained?

It's not even amiss to be careful when you never experienced
problems.  Unfortunately, there have been too many precedents.

I agree that the paperwork is a nuisance.  Yet I don't see that the
price to pay for it is not warranted.

> For the record I was never asked and I have never promised to be a
> maintainer.  One day my name shows up in the MAINTAINER file and
> that was it!

Of course, this is hardly how things should work.>