Re: [mew-int 01593] Re: windows 1252

From: 山本和彦
Subject: Re: [mew-int 01593] Re: windows 1252
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:59:12 +0900 (JST)

Hello Stephen,

# ordering was changed.

> ctext can, because in the extended segment the characters will be
> represented as themselves.  Whether Mule can or not is a different
> story.  However, I'm fairly sure that all of the characters that
> Windows 125x put into the C1 space are encodable by Mule.  See
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/sbcs/1252.htm
>
> for example.

Thank you for this information.

I produced 0x80-0xff into a file and let Emacs read it as Windows
1252.

Q1) According to the page above, 0x8f is undefined, and 0x9e is
    defined as LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON.

    But Emacs 21.3.50 treated 0x8f as LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON
    and 0x9e as undefined.

    Is this a bug?

> You don't even need to do that with an extended segment.  The
> Windows-125x sets are all IANA-registered, which should be enough for
> global uniqueness.  To represent the text, you just use the name of
> the character set: ESC % / 1 <M> <L> Windows-1252 STX ... where <M>
> and <L> encode the length of the segment and ESC and STX are the ASCII
> control characters 0x1B and 0x02.

I save the buffer as ctext. The result file is attached below. All
characters in Windows 1252 can be encoded with ctext. :-)

Q2) However the encoding is different from the one above. Is this
    encoding correct?

Note that I verified that Emacs can read the ctext file correctly.

--Kazu

ESC $ - 1 0xf4 0xcc ESC - A
ESC $ - 1 0xf2 0xfa ESC - A
ESC $ - 1 0xa1 0xd2 ESC - A