Re: ls-lisp and remote files

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: ls-lisp and remote files
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:41:16 +0100

If the changes are trivial, and especially if the changes make things
cleaner, then I think it is a good idea.  Returning numbers here is
ugly, and it would be good to get rid of that ugliness.
I agree that always returning strings is the best solution. But it requires a lot of thorough code reading to be sure that the changes required really are trivial and to make those changes without introducing bugs. Much more work than I can handle myself. I understand from Kai and Stefan that these changes have been considered before, but that nothing was done. I fear that the same might happen again. And I think that introducing an optional parameter is better than doing noting at all. But if you can convince some people to work on these changes, maybe even someone with knowledge of some of the modules, I will gladly participate.