Re: BIG5-HKSCS?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: BIG5-HKSCS?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:56:54 +0100

>     I meant that it wasn't run by some mailing list software that set the
>     sender address to the mailing list software, instead of maintaining
>     the original sender address (i.e., my address).
>
> That way of running a list is a pain in the neck, because it makes
> sending a reply just to the sender of a message rather inconvenient.
> So we do not generally set up our lists that way.

I think there is some confusion here; the sender address is not the
same as adding a Reply-To header, which I believe you refer to.  I
agree using a mailing list software that add a Reply-To header that
point to the mailing list itself is just wrong.  But altering the
sender address to the mailing list software itself avoids a torrent of
bounces to everyone that sends a message to the list.

For example, for each and every message I have sent to
address@hidden I have received a bounce message saying that one
of the lists' member is not known.  If that was a large list, with
thousands of subscribers, the risk that, say, 10 of the subscribes
have disappeared from the net is rather high.  Getting tens of bounces
for every message you send to a list is not good.

I think it would be best to make address@hidden a proper
mail.gnu.org mailing list.