Re: TUTORIAL.bg and windows-1251

From: Ognyan Kulev
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL.bg and windows-1251
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:49:21 +0200

Kenichi Handa wrote:
I think the default handling of cyrillic characters must be
most convenient for native users.  But, there are many
languages that use cyrillic and their requests may conflict.
So I think we must start from adjusting each language
environment.  Once we found most language environments
require the same setting, we can make it the default.

Can X encoding be adjusted? Isn't there only two choices for cyrillic: iso10646-1 and iso8859-5?

For instance, what font Bulgarian people mostly use on X
Window for Cyrillic characters?  Is it iso8859-5 font?

Well, most use Microsoft Core fonts ;-) (For example, Vera fonts don't have cyrillic.) The next one, suitable for Emacs, is cronyx-courier[1]. I don't know of other fonts that are often used. Both of these fonts has various encodings: iso10646-1, microsoft-cp1251, koi8-r and iso8859-5.

[1] Sorry for not providing link, but http://packages.debian.org don't work right now. From there, you can type "xfonts-cronyx" and search for all packages whose name contains this string. Home page is http://oldrus-ispell.sourceforge.net/

So it's best to focus on cronyx-courier. It's part of a package, bglinux, that many bulgarians use. The other half of the bulgarians use Debian, because maintainer of bglinux (Anton Zinoviev) is maintainer for xfonts-cronyx-* packages in Debian. All of bglinux is already part of Debian.

The negative site of Debian packages is that each encoding of the four above mentioned has its own package. So people sometimes install only microsoft-cp1251 and iso10646-1 fonts, without koi8-r and iso8859-5 ones.

Another problem with cronyx-courier is that it doesn't work when it's set in Default in Basic Faces customize group. I've just posted question to comp.emacs.

What about the following: when mule-unicode-0100-24ff is used and the used iso10646-1 font doesn't contain wanted character (e.g. cyrillic one), then another font is searched that contains such character. I think this will often end up in cronyx-courier. Is this hard to be implemented?

Regards
--
Ognyan Kulev <address@hidden,fsa-bg.org,jabber.net}>
7D9F 66E6 68B7 A62B 0FCF  EB04 80BF 3A8C A252 9782