Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:05:10 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   After (defcustom foobar 1 "hello"), set-variable is quite happy to let me
   set the variable `foobar'.

Indeed, I was wrong on that one.  Here is the (I believe) correct
answer to when to use or not to use * in a defcustom (from
(elisp)Documentation Tips):

   * A variable's documentation string should start with `*' if the
     variable is one that users would often want to set interactively.
     If the value is a long list, or a function, or if the variable
     would be set only in init files, then don't start the
     documentation string with `*'.  *Note Defining Variables::.

One might nevertheless want to allow users to customize variables of
the latter type through Custom.

Sincerely,

Luc.