Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: 19 Nov 2003 08:56:47 -0500

>    After (defcustom foobar 1 "hello"), set-variable is quite happy to
>    let me set the variable `foobar'.

> On second thought, I believe that is a bug.

It's clearly not a bug.  A misfeature maybe, but not a bug since code
was written explicitly for it.

Anyway my point is that the difference between defcustom with and without
a * is in practice absent and in theory much too subtle and debatable to
justify its existence (after all, who knows whether users will want to set
something interactively or only at startup).
I suggest we just get rid of the distinction altogether.

        Stefan