Re: Suggestion: go to bottom of mail message

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Suggestion: go to bottom of mail message
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:18:18 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> (3) I prefer the key "/" than ";" for
>> rmail[-summary]-end-of-message because "/" is usually just
>> right of "." but ";" is usually right upper of ".".  As "."
>> moves point to the beggining, it seems strange to type the
>> upper key to move point to the end.  By the way, for me the
>> ideal keys are:
>>   "," go to the beginning
>>   "." go to the end
>> because my fingers already got used to "ESC <" and "ESC >",
>> and "," and "<", "." and ">" are on the same keys.
>
> I don't use rmail anymore, but as a general note, you should
> not make decisions like this based on a specific keyboard layout.
>
> For example, on a Danish PC keyboard, the three keys to the right of
> "M" produces the following characters (shifted in the first row):
>
>         ;  :  _
>         ,  .  -
>
> while < and > are on a separate key, and / is above 7.

Right, my Swedish/Finnish keyboard has the same layout.  But still
keys "," and "." are located on the same positions on both layouts
(two keys to the right of "M").  However, I suggest to make
keybindings similar to those provided by Gnus.  They are very handy.

    "<" go to the beginning of message
    ">" go to the end of message
    "M-<" go to the first message
    "M->" go to the last message