Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: 21 Nov 2003 08:49:51 +0000

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> Put another way, Info is designed for a fast connection between the
> program doing the rendering and the file serving the Info file.  But
> HTML is designed for a slow connection between the program doing the
> rendering and the Web server providing the HTML file.

I don't really understand this. But maybe I'm not seeing it at the
right level of detail.

No matter, what I'm saying is that we can *easily* make an HTML
representation of Texinfo which is better for people with slow network
connections than the current format.

The representation will operate in a Javascript/XSLT aware browser
and have:

- keyboard navigation
- index term lookup
- node sized downloads

Search will also be included but only with the addition of a web
application (a CGI script probably) held on the same server which is
serving the Texinfo files.

We can do this *because* we have the XML output and don't have to
write complicated HTML rendering code, we can write simply HTML
rendering code with XSLT.

> Oliver said:
>     ... I wrote under the assumption that a small and lightweight
>     standalone info reader that works on a console is necessary.
>
> Yes, this is necessary, as one of the various display programs that
> the new XML could use.

You're not saying we have to write a new console info reader for XML
are you?

If you are saying that: why? The current info reader is fine for
consoles, surely it's okay that it uses a different data format than
XML or HTML?

Nic