Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: 21 Nov 2003 10:03:53 -0500

>     What is the benefit ?  Why should something be only allowed via M-x
>     customize-variable but not via M-x set-variable (and vice-versa, BTW) ?

> Maybe it would be ok to use customizability as the criterion
> for user-variable-p.  However, I am not sure it would be an improvement
> over the current way of handling things.

AFAIK, the current way of doing things is already to use customizability as
a criterion for user-variable-p, making * only meaningful for defvar but
not for defcustom.  Are you saying that you want to remove even the
support for * in defvar (instead relying exclusively on defcustom)?
That would be fine by me, but it's more than I'm trying to do here
(which is to bring the doc in line with the code).

        Stefan