Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:55:49 +0200

Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:
> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 09:41:39PM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
>> > 2. write an XSLT processor in Emacs Lisp. This wouldn't be as
>> >    difficult as it sounds and I'm not sure it isn't done already (by
>> >    one of the various XML/Emacs projects going on).
>>
>> The main question in my mind is whether this would be fast enough -- the
>> current info mechanism, though it has its problems, can display info pages
>> very quickly.  As a point of contrast, W3 is _very_ slow (I think it would be
>> completely unsuitable for use in displaying info files).
>
> In this response to rms I was not suggesting W3. I was talking about
> writing an XSLT processor in emacs lisp. XSLT is pretty quick unless
> memory is very limited or the transformation it is given is
> particularly complex.

Why do you want to write an XSLT processor in emacs lisp?
The XSL is a poor and ugly copy of Lisp.  I once was enthusiastic
about XSL too, but soon I realized that it's simply a parody of Lisp.
Much better alternative for XML transformation and style formatting
could be the DSSSL, but unfortunately it is not popular now.
So, if you are going to do something in Emacs, please, do it
in Emacs Lisp, not in XSL or JavaScript.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/