Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:54:29 -0600 (CST)

Yuri Linkov wrote:

   The same is true for web browsers too.  They display only a link title
   without URL in the text area.  But when you move the mouse pointer
   over a link, the browser displays the URL in the status bar.
   Emacs Info currently works in the same way: it puts the help-echo
   text property on a reference, so you can see the full address in the
   echo area after moving mouse over a reference.

Info file names are usually very short, URL's tend to be long.  True,
I can get the full information, but it requires some extra effort.  I
may not take the trouble because I expect it to go to a section of the
manual I am reading, because that is the "normal" situation.  Hence, I
do not worry about it because I have already read it and miss out on
necessary information.  The suggestions in my previous message might
make things too long, but there are other possibilities.  For
instance, one could replace:

*Note Locales: (libc)Locales, for more ...

with:

See Locales (libc) for more ...

instead of with just:

See Locales for more ...

Anyway, if not, then the question is whether your proposed new
implementation will work fine, filling and everything, with all
possible values of Info-hide-note-references.  In that case, everybody
can customize.  (I believe I understood that this thread is talking
about a format that could potentially be used by Emacs, unlike the "A
new online publishing ... " thread.)

Sincerely,

Luc.