Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:48:14 +0200

>    The same is true for web browsers too.  They display only a link title
>    without URL in the text area.  But when you move the mouse pointer
>    over a link, the browser displays the URL in the status bar.
>    Emacs Info currently works in the same way: it puts the help-echo
>    text property on a reference, so you can see the full address in the
>    echo area after moving mouse over a reference.
>
> Info file names are usually very short, URL's tend to be long.  True,
> I can get the full information, but it requires some extra effort.  I
> may not take the trouble because I expect it to go to a section of the
> manual I am reading, because that is the "normal" situation.  Hence, I
> do not worry about it because I have already read it and miss out on
> necessary information.

This looks like a complaint about how all current web browsers work :-)
You don't see in the text area of web browsers whether a link leads
to to same site or not.  Well, some sites (like slashdot.org) adds
the name of external site after a link in the text if link leads outside.
This is actually similar to what you are proposing.

> Anyway, if not, then the question is whether your proposed new
> implementation will work fine, filling and everything, with all
> possible values of Info-hide-note-references.  In that case, everybody
> can customize.  (I believe I understood that this thread is talking
> about a format that could potentially be used by Emacs, unlike the "A
> new online publishing ... " thread.)

I wanted to clarify what is the best way to display references in the
current Info format or XML output of Texinfo without refilling and
without changing line lengths.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/