Re: [texinfo-pretest] Re: A new online publishing tool for Texinfo docum

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [texinfo-pretest] Re: A new online publishing tool for Texinfo documents.
Date: 26 Nov 2003 08:25:31 +0200

> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:21:27 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden>
>
> The Info system could be enhanced to do the same -- at least, I think
> so.  Can anyone think why, if some of the work were done by the the
> device that provides the Info document, you could not run Info
> remotely over a slow connection between its rendering engine and the
> source of the Info document?

I don't see any problem in principle, except that the rendering engine
of the Info reader will have to be redesigned to work on output from
some external program that delivers small portions of the displayed
text, instead of loading the entire file into memory and working from
there.

We will also have to design some protocol between the local and
remote parts, or teach Info to use some existing protocol, to pass
requests to the remote.