Re: A question about GTK file selection dialog and `use-dialog-box'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A question about GTK file selection dialog and `use-dialog-box'
Date: 27 Nov 2003 13:38:41 +0100

Peter S Galbraith <address@hidden> writes:

> Using a GTK build of CVS Emacs, I see that `read-file-name' uses a
> GTK file selector instead of the minbuffer.  I had to disable it
> because it's very awkward to use compared to the minibuffer (no
> history or completion).  The only advertised way to disable it is to
> unset `use-dialog-box', which also disables the nice `y-or-n-p' and
> `yes-or-no-p' pop-ups (I like thoese!).
>
> It would be great if the GTK file selector's minibuffer area acted like
> the minibuffer (history and completion).  If not, then consider
> providing a way to disable the file selector without disabling
> `y-or-n-p' and `yes-or-no-p' pop-ups.

It only uses the GTK file selector if the triggering event is a mouse
event.  So if you are using the keyboard, you won't get to see a GTK
file selector.

Unless, say, you are hitting upon a bug of AUCTeX that can trigger
calling read-file-name from update-menu-hook or so (which apparently
does not count as a keyboard event in that context).  The solution, of
course, is to fix that by delaying the guilty functions until the
LaTeX menu or respective keyboard functions actually get called.